Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mirror City or Yonna (who posted the picture of a tree), I've Noticed The Mirrors Too...























re·flec·tion
1. The act of reflecting or the state of being reflected.
2. Something, such as light, radiant heat, sound, or an image, that is reflected.
3. Mental concentration; careful consideration.
4. An indirect expression of censure or discredit: a reflection on his integrity.
5. A manifestation or result: Her achievements are a reflection of her courage.
6. Anatomy
a. The folding of a membrane from the wall of a cavity over an organ and back to the wall.
b. The folds so made.

I've been counting mirrors. In Seoul, any street has an assortment: traffic mirrors, street mirrors, subway mirrors, display mirrors, architetual mirrors, handheld mirrors, rearview mirrors. Everywhere Seoul is being reflected in public spaces, city centers, and busy highways.

Seoul is a mirror.
Seoul is a reflection.

Seoul reflects mountains.
Seoul reflects buildings.
Seoul reflects Bridges.
Seoul reflects me.

I am reflected on seoul.
I am reflected on landscape.
I am reflected on environment.
I am reflected on culture.
I am reflected on language.
I am reflected in Seoul's reflection.

I have a favorite quote about mirrors and I thought of it when I was counting.

"The time for reflection is also the chance for turning back on the very conditions of reflection, in all the senses of that word, as if with the help of an optical device one could finally see sight, could not only view the natural landscape, the city, the bridge and the abyss, but could view viewing."-- Jaques Derrida

I wonder if future seoul will be like Derrida's Mirror-- a device that can reflect the city, the landscape, and the viewer. I wonder if mirrors could be a way of thinking about how Seoul reflects on the world and how the world reflects on Seoul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive